Visit My Company Website

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Get Savvy with Sauvignon Blanc

As I mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of white wines. However, I will continue to test them out to help all of you. For the past couple of weeks I have been focusing on the Sauvignon Blanc wine, since it's a wine I never really drink. But, I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised.

This grape grows all around the world, but the French are the ones who stake their claim for this grape's origin. It grows in mild and somewhat cool climates, so it's no surprise that we see many Sauvignon Blanc wines come from California. What I like about this wine is that it plays to the dryer side, and it is not over-bearing in sweetness like many other whites. In fact, it is very tropical in flavor, but has an earthy side to it, which balances out the sweetness of the grape.

Many wine critics will say that you get an over-powering grapefruit flavor with this wine. While I do agree with them, I received more lemon notes with this wine than any other fruit. However, each person's palate is different, so I encourage all of you to pick up a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc tonight and let your taste buds decide. With that, I've highlighted a great one to share with you.

Santa Barbara Winery, Sauvignon Blanc (2010) - $15: This wine comes from the Santa Ynez Valley of California, (http://sbwinery.com/index.html). I love to visit Santa Barbara, because not only do I have family out there, I also love the wine! This wine has a yellow and light green clear color to it. It has smells of grapefruit, green apple, and lemon. There is a tartness and bite when you first taste it, with flavors of grapefruit and lemon that pop in your mouth. But after a few sips, the tartness goes down and hints of pineapple appear. It is very light in body, and I would recommend that this wine be paired with spicy foods to complement the flavors of the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment