Visit My Company Website

Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Merlot That Was Worth the Wait!

Last night I had a wonderful Napa Valley Merlot. Actually, this was the second time I've tried it. The first time was over the holidays last year. Even though I had been told to "let this wine" sit for a little while, I just couldn't wait. After all, I had two bottles; so I didn't see the harm in opening one early. Well that was a mistake! At that time, the wine was still too young and the tannins attacked too quickly.

Well, last night was a completely different story! This wine is more than ready to drink!

Swanson Vineyards, Oakville, Merlot, 2007, $38: This Napa Valley Merlot was a treat, (http://www.swansonvineyards.com/default.aspx). You get dark cherry and vanilla aromas, with only a hint of alcohol on the bouquet. (I attribute the alcohol smell to something the winemaker did to the wine as part of the fermentation process). For a Merlot, it is full bodied with soft tannins. It is also very fruit forward, with tastes of dark cherry and blackberry.

Again, this wine is ready to drink! I recommend you try to get your hands on a 2007 vintage asap! Wine.com has the 2008 vintage. If you are going to get the later vintage, let it sit for at least 6 months before tasting. (http://www.wine.com/V6/Swanson-2007-Oakville-Merlot/wine/108476/detail.aspx).

Food pairing suggestion: Salmon with a dark berry reduction.

Goes to show you... good things are worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment